Thursday, January 30, 2014

Be the Change

I just watched a movie called, "Hello Herman". This movie really got me thinking. But, first, a quick synopsis. I can't put it any plainer than what it says on the DVD case so, here it is, word for word.
Sixteen-year-old Herman Howards makes a fateful decision. He enters his suburban school and commits a terrible act of violence. Seconds before his arrest he emails his idol, infamous journalist Lax Morales, telling him, "I want to tell my story on your show." Haunted by his own past, Morales is forced to confront the troubled teen, now an inmate with an uncertain future in this Michelle Danner-directed film that explores how and why tragedies like this can happen in our society.
I found this movie at the library yesterday and thought, "hmm, this could be interesting." And, it was. It really opened my eyes and got me thinking. Here's the big question it asks, "When, where, and how did it all go wrong?" Now, do not jump to conclusions and think that the movie is saying, "This is the reason why mass shootings in schools happen," because that is a wrong assumption. This movie only explores one of the many possibilities. This movie was made to draw awareness to an ever growing issue in today's society. However, watching the movie, my mind took a bit of a detour and took the idea a bit deeper.

I was not focused so much on the shooting or even the events leading up to it. My mind was focused on the reactions of the "movie world". I do not believe in spewing an idea or thought, without first thinking of the consequences of my words, so I shall choose my next words carefully. In the movie there is a quiet voice a midst the shouting throng, who asked this question: "A life for a life. If we all lived by that principle, what does that make the world?" (In the movie the Senator answers, "Safe, Mr. Ferguson, that's what that makes the world." To which I disagree with , whole heartedly).

It is the hardest thing asked of anyone, who is put in a situation such as this, to turn around and look their executioner in the eye and say, "I forgive you." In fact, the world would have you believe it is unnatural. They would say you were crazy. But, if no one takes that stand, what else is there to do but to continue the legacy of hatred and violence. We cannot undo what has already been done. However, we do have the power to prevent it from happening again - no, not by force or by another act of violence, that doesn't make any sense. I mean, by changing who you are, inside.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment