Thursday, November 28, 2013

Black Friday Mania

Black Friday is an oxymoron tradition. I understand the significance of a discount, but to hurt someone in the process in order to obtain that discount is ridiculous. It also seems a bit sad, because a lot of people try to do their Christmas shopping on that day. It kinda sends a message that, "I'm buying this as a gift for someone special, for Christmas. If you get in my way, I will hurt you." Man, imagine if the three wise men were like that. 

Wise Man #1: "I will give the child gold."

Wise Man #2: "Hey! I was going to give him gold. Here, you give him this." (Throws a pouch at WM1)

Wise Man #1: (Opens pouch) "Myrrh?! What is this compared to gold? I'm not going to give this to the Savior! The King of Kings! Here, you give this to the child." (Throws the pouch to WM3)

Wise Man #3: "No way, I'd rather give the child my own mansion then perfume. This is nothing.I will give him the gold."

[argument continues and gets a bit out of hand]

.....Anyway, I could go on and on. But, is that really what mattered? What is a gift, if it's not from the heart? 

I understand that children only expect toys for Christmas. I understand that budgets are tight because of our current standing in this economy. But, there are ways to have a happy and simple Christmas. Growing up, my family had hardly anything. Some years we even went without a Christmas Tree (we just had Christmas lights wrapped around a table with a cloth and some hand-made decorations). But, that didn't stop us from celebrating the most expensive holiday of the year. We made due with what we had. And to be honest, those are the Christmas Pasts that I love the most. 

If you're wanting to buy something for someone you love, know this: "Love is the most expensive commodity. The more you are willing to pay, the more valuable the price. The question is, Are you willing to pay the price?" I believe that if there's a perfect gift for someone I love, then it doesn't matter how much it costs. And really, Christmas is not all about the getting, or even the giving. Sometimes, its just about the LOVE behind everything you do and say. 

So, if you intend to venture forth on the craziest day of the year, keep in mind the TRUE meaning of Christmas. It's not ALL about the presents you buy.


No comments:

Post a Comment